Friday, September 2, 2011

Staff Club fun : The Nightclub Karel

So in April of 2011 all the members of the staff club got an interesting email.  A nightclub in Copenhagen offered 50 people from our research center a free dinner on May 27th.  And then the Staff Club would pay for three hours of drinks (~120 kr OR ~$25)

Now as we all know if the deal is too good to be true, then in most cases the deal is not true. So I went to the secretary to ask her if this deal is really true.  She said the Staff Club checked it out and it was really true.  She mentioned this is something that nightclubs do to get more profits from drinks and increase the number of people who know of the nightclub.  So I signed up.

So on the day of the nightclub dinner, Dot, Kn and I went to Kn's apartment in Valby, a suburb of Copenhagen.  After a long day at work we all took a shower, redid our makeup, made our hair look all pretty and change into some more nightclub 'clothes'.  Dot and Kn wore really nice cocktail dresses, whereas I just wore a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt. I kind of felt under dressed.  As Dot, Kn and I walked to the S train and got on the metro tram,  I could not stop laughing. I counted at least 14 guys who I saw that were staring at Dot and Kn.   When I arrived at Karel nightclub and met everyone else, I no longer felt under dressed, there were many other Staff Club members in t-shirts and shorts.

At 7pm we were allowed to enter the nightclub and it was really classy place.


So when we enter the nightclub we there were three long tables for us to sit down. We were not that far from the bar and on the bar was 50 cocktail drinks. We were told by the bartender that these cocktails were for us.

After taking a sip of the cocktail I could tell that all it was a fruit cocktail juice with vodka, but I was not going to complain over a free drink.  We continued talking and mingling with co-workers until one of the chefs came out and began playing a saxophone.   Once he finished he welcomed all of us to Karel and described the dinner buffet available. He spoke in Danish, but I could still pick out some Danish words and plus if I had any questions I had plenty of Danish co-workers around me that I could ask.
We had a great dinner with roasted potatoes with cheese and spinach, roasted chicken with rosemary and vegetables, pasta salad, coleslaw and fresh baked bread.  It was a simple dinner but it was a good tasting dinner and it was FREE!  We were also offer free wine for the next three hours, now of course the nightclub does not want to loose money so the wine was not actually the most tasty but again it was FREE.
We had a great time, we drank a lot and we ate a lot. But around 10:30 pm when we went to the bar for more free wine, they cut us off. Ahhh No more free wine. However I do have so great pictures of Dot and Kn looking into an empty wine bottle but I am not going any incriminating photos on the internet. Then at 11pm, the waitstaff tells us we need to move because they need to remove the tables. We get up and scattered through out the nightclub, some people went near the bar others went outside to the balcony.

I was kind of impressed by some of my co-workers, at work they act very professional but when they play...they really play hard.  One of the accounts from the research center I occasionally interact with is very professional and helpful at work; I was happy to see his fun side at the nightclub. The account was dancing on the dance floor with in a glass of wine in one hand and a pint of beer in the other.

After a great time at the nightclub, Sm (who actually lives in Copenhagen) walked Cr and I to Central station and then Cr and I had an interesting train ride back home.  The midnight train was canceled so Cr and I got a packed 1 am train. We were lucky enough to get seats, cause with all the wine we drank while at the nightclub I am not sure if we could stand in a moving train car.

Cr and I went our separate ways at the train station, I walked home, drank some water and crashed in bed.

It was a great experience and I am glad that I went to the nightclub in Copenhagen.



No comments:

Post a Comment