Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My parents adventure in Europe

I would think that most of my family already knows that my mother and father were with me in Denmark and that we made a trip to Rome. I figured if my parents are really going to make an effort to come all the way to Denmark there was no reason why we could not make a two hour flight to Rome.

On Sept 5th, my parents landed in Copenhagen, I think the main thing that my parents will remember was that I was late. I missed the early train I wanted to take and when I got to the airport my parents were standing in the airport with their luggage. I felt bad that I was late but all was well. Since we all had luggage we took the taxi to the apartment I rented while we were in Copenhagen.

The apartment I rented in North Copenhagen (Østebro) turned out to be the best idea ever. The apartment had three nice size beds, a nice kitchen, a washer and dryer in the basement and of course a bathroom and shower. I would think that the only complaint my parents and I had was that shower was REALLY small. The location of this apartment was great, it was a nice quiet area, with a grocery store only 1 block away and a great Chinese/Thai restaurant across the street.

Basically the first day my parents were in Copenhagen was very much a relax (I can't believe I am in Europe) type of day with one stipulation they had to stay awake until 8pm. I made my parents stay awake because they would suffer from jet lag the entire trip if I did not force them to stay awake this first day. But at 8pm both mom and dad were out like a light.


On Sept 6th, I only had two things scheduled for my mom and dad; a canal tour of Copenhagen and a visit to Tivoli. During the canal tour, besides being a little cold my parents really enjoyed seeing Copenhagen. Later that day I took my parents to Tivoli, we had a nice dinner and stayed in Tivoli after sunset to see the Nimb all lite up. Of course took plenty of pictures of my parents with the scenery in the background.
Nimb in Tivoli
Nyhavn, Copenhagen











Roskilde Cathedral
On Sept 7th, I took my parents through the Danish countryside to where I work. I timed it so that we would arrive at where I work just as lunch began so that my parents could be served a traditional Danish meal. That day at work the lunch ladies made frikkadellea a great traditional Danish dish. I introduced my parents to my supervisor and my co-workers. I showed my parents around the research center, my office, my lab bench and even my plants in my greenhouse. On this particular day was the farewell party for one of my colleagues (Br). So my parents got to also enjoy so great cake, afternoon snacks and wine. On our way back to Copenhagen we made a short stop at the Roskilde Cathedral. My plan was to show my parents the inside of this huge cathedral but there was actually a mass going on inside. I thought it was a bit odd to have mass on a Friday but oh well. I still got a couple pictures of my parents with the cathedral in the background.

Then on Sept 8 to 13 the three of us were in Rome and that adventure deserves it own blog post. (Coming Soon)

On Sept 13 when we arrived back in Copenhagen after our adventure in Rome we were all exhausted. The three of us went across the street to a great restaurant called Wokshop. It was good food and with a full stomach we all passed out. The next day (Sept 14th) the three if us just relaxed. Of course I went to Netto to get some food but it felt good to relax.

King Tutankhamun
On Sept 15, I took my parents to the King Tutankhamun exhibit in Malmo, Sweden. It was a good exhibit and my parents both seemed to enjoy it.

Sept 16th was another relaxing day mixed with a bit of packing and organizing. We did make a short trip to Rosenborg Castle and walked around the King's grounds. Just like me, my parents were amazed the castle, I mean you just don't see those in the US. Later that night my mom found a NFL game on the television and was getting a kick out of the Danish announcers.

On Sept 17th, after 12 days with my parents it was time to say goodbye. At the airport we said our goodbyes and gave each other hugs.

Overall my parents had a great Europe trip and I am really glad that they could make the trip over the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment