Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sandbjerg Estate

During the four months I have been in Denmark so far I have traveled to Sandbjerg Estate twice. The first time was during beginning of December and the second time was the beginning of February both times I was able to enjoy great food, great views and great accommodations.  So lets start with my first trip to Sandbjerg in December, the best way to get to this estate is by car which takes three hours from where I live.  For the December trip to Sandbjerg, other PhD students and myself met at the train station at 5:30 am.  While waiting for other students and the company car I just had to take this picture of the station with the moon in the background.


After crazy traffic and crossing two large bridges which connect the Denmark islands we arrived to at Sandbjerb and we went to our assigned rooms.  I was really surprised when I entered my room because of how nice it was set up.




The view out my room window was also great.



The location of this estate is very close to the bay and in December it was pretty cold but I still took some pictures of the location. Unfortunately I did not have time to really walk around the estate to see all the buildings.







When I arrived at Sandbjerg in February I had a bit more time to walk the estate grounds so I was able to take more pictures. But also I was able to take a nice long walk with other PhD students who were also there in February.




History of the Sandbjerg Estate
 
Sandbjerg Estate was founded by Duke Hans the younger shortly after he took over Sønderborg Castle in 1571. Reventlow family acquired the estate in 1673 and owned it until 1930. The palace was built in 1788 of George Conrad Reventlow. In the years 1864 to 1920 resulted in a spot right checkered career as high school economics school and stud farm.

During the second Schleswig War in 1864 used the Prussian army palace somebody headquarters. Sandbjerg Manor was sold in 1929 for barrister Dahl, whose wife was the sister of author Karen Blixen. In 1954 gave Mrs. Ellen Dahl Sandbjerg Estate to Aarhus University. Today Sandbjerg Estate 135 hectares and is run as a course property. Agricultural land is leased by a local farmer.



 When I was there in February a group of us found a nice walking trail.

Alssund path between Sønderborg and Sottrupskov is about 10 km and runs along Alssund. The trip is a beautiful and varied walk through town open country village environment and forests.  We did not walk the entire 10km but the walk was quite nice. 


 
I hope you like all the pictures.  My next post will be about a Danish historical site near the Sandbjerg estate.  



Thank you for all the love and support. And thanks for all the cards and pictures from friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment