Saturday, August 20, 2011

Staff Club fun: Copenhagen Zoo

So when I first arrived at the research center here in Denmark, I was offered to join the Staff Club. For 25 kr (~$5) a month, the Staff Club would offer to pay a portion or all of the cost for a trip or event.  On December 2010 I decided to go ahead and join the Staff Club and I am glad that I did.

On May 26th, members of the Staff Club (or at least the ones that signed up) went on a after work trip to the Copenhagen Zoo.  I thought at first the group of us were going to just walk around the zoo but once we got there I realized we get an after hours private tour!!


Bearded lizard
When every one arrived I noticed that the majority of the Staff Club members brought their children and that R and I were the only PhD students.  For the children to understand the tour it was decided to give the tour in Danish.  R and I were fine with that, I was just excited to be able to visit the zoo. 
An interesting insect, it really looked like a dead leaf.
 The first place we went to was the insect and reptile petting room. The children were excited to hold all kinds of insects and reptiles.  R was having fun holding things, while I on the other hand was steering clear of all the snakes. One of the staff member's daughter had this snake around her neck and arm, and she looked so calm. I was freaking out just looking at the snake. 
Spotted Newt
There were many other animals to see. Although since it at the end of the day, most of the animals were sleeping.  So not only was the zoo basically empty and really quiet.


Siberian tigers sleeping
Now as we walked further into the zoo, we started to hear a very loud noise. Once we got closer to where the California seals were we got to see where all the noise was coming from.  


Note: Even though the video says 0:00 for the time - the video DOES work. Just click on the play button.
Of course near the end of the tour it stated to rain. I really enjoyed to the tour and even though we did not get to see everything in the zoo I had a great time with co-workers.   After the zoo tour about 12 of us went to a nearby Indian restaurant and we had some great food. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment