Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Jul – Beer

(Written on November 9th)

So it has been a while since I posted any thing and that is mostly because after my day I am just exhausted and I am just now adjusted to the seven-hour difference.

I will first tell you how a basic workday for me is: I usually wake up at 6:45am; I have breakfast etc and then walk out the door at 7:50am to get to the bus stop. The bus comes at 8am, after riding the bus for about 15 minutes I get to work. I get to my office, turn on my computer and then go to the cafeteria and get a nice hot cup of coffee. I bring the coffee to the office and begun to start working. I have a lot to do for my final thesis I am really busy with that. Lunch is served at the cafeteria from 11:30 to 12:30, and they serve really good freshly made food. After lunch I am back to work and around 4 or 5pm I pack up my stuff and head to the bus stop to go home. Once I get home, I go through the mail, I swear I get more mail here then I ever did back in the States. After going through the mail, cleaning up a bit, I start making dinner. After dinner I take a shower and then washing the dishes. At last I work on reading material again for my thesis and I fall asleep and my day starts again.

I did have an interruption in my routine on Friday November 5th. In Denmark, Nov 5th was J-Day, this is the day in which the Jul Beer comes out. (Jul=Christmas) So basically there was a huge party for the Christmas beer that comes out only during this time. After work I met a new office mate (Cr) and walked to the pub called The UPPER Hill where we meet many other Ph.d. students. So let me set the scene for you, we walk into this big pub and it is packed full, we find the rest of the students at a big table in the back of the pub. (I was quite happy when I found out this was a NON-smoking pub.)



The photo shows the coaster placed on the tables. The coaster says “Merry Christmas and Good Tub’ year”. The joke is Tub’ year instead of New year, cause the beer makers name is Tuborg.
When sat and chatted then at 9pm the speakers started to play “Jingle Bells” every one was clapping and singing along. That is when the Jul-Beer started flowing, a few guys went up the bar and purchased a few rounds of beers. I must say the Jul beer was quite good and I really did like it.

During the night I only had two beers, it seemed that every time I emptied my glass someone grabbed it and refilled it. So I learned on the third beer DO NOT finish the glass. However there was other Ph.d. decided to say screw it to their personal limits and went all out and drank the night away. Through the night we got a few cute hats, and we passed it around so that every one had a chance to wear it. I was lucky enough to take one of these hats home, and the photo shows the blue Christmas hat. The hat says “Stangstiv… Ingen kys” which means “Drunk… Don’t kiss” with flashing lights. I saw many people wearing these hats; some girls were wearing cute (small) blue elf outfits. The outfit was cute but the first thing I thought was that girl has to be cold when she walks outside.

Later that night the truck with the free beer came to that pub, when the truck came a man in a blue Santa-like suit began handing out free beer and all his female elves were posing for pictures and giving out Jul beer ink stamps on people.

After a great time, two other Ph.d. and I walked back to our apartments. After having a few glasses of water to ensure I would not wake up with a hang over I went to bed.

The following Saturday you could purchase this Jul-beer in any store and is only available until the end of December. Since I liked this beer I felt I should go get some of the Jul-beer to have at home. I found that the cans have really cute Christmas design on it. The front of the can is shown in the picture below.


Also – if you click on the title of this post you will be redirected to a youtube video about Jul-beer.





1 comment:

  1. When do you have the bloody time to write all this!!??? -Roy

    ReplyDelete