Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Finally in Denmark

(Written on the evening of Oct 28th)
I was so happy when I found out that my new flight to Stockholm was NOT delayed or cancelled. We were able to board and leave Chicago with no problems, even better was the fact that the flight was not full. So I was to lie down on two seats and get some amount of sleep; as much sleep as I could get on a loud plane with the occasionally seat belt clip poking me in the side.
Unlike international flights, in transatlantic flights there is much more room. Every seat has a small tv screen that plays music, games, movies, and tv shows. I was able to play suduko for some time and even watched a movie. In both first class and economy you also get a pillow and blanket, of course the better pillows and blankets are in first class.
The one thing that surprised me was the quality of food on the plane. Usually when I think plane food, I think horrible food. But the dinner served included a nice salad with feta cheese, with a good size bun. The main entrée was roasted pork, potatoes and broccoli. Then there was a small wedge of brie cheese with crackers and ending the dinner with tirsumu. I was pleasantly surprised and full after eating that. I was never more surprised when they started passing out food for breakfast. I was thinking that since the plane landed at 7:30 that would not get breakfast.
Once we landed in Stockholm, even though Copenhagen was my final destination. I had to go through customs; they looked at my passport and then we had to go through security again. There were a few people I let in front of me cause they had an earlier flight. I felt bad for the guy in front of me, cause he bought three bottles of alcohol on the plane to Stockholm but the security took it when he landed. And many people behind me had bottles of water that they bought in O’Hare which they had to either drink really fast or throw away.
Once I passed security, getting to my next gate was easy. But the one thing that amazed me about the airport in Stockholm was that it was like a huge shopping mall. There were clothing shops with designer clothes and fragrances and huge jewelry stores selling diamond earring and necklaces. Oh and of course there was a Starbucks.
Flying to Copenhagen was uneventful, the flight was full and they did not serve any drinks or food on this flight. But overall the flight was fine. After landing, I ran into the two women from Chicago O’Hare (all three of us missed our original flight to Copenhagen) and we waited together for our luggage to show up on the belt. After waiting for ten minutes and seeing other people with their luggage we just knew our luggage was lost. Later we found out that our luggage was still in Chicago and we would get it later. Of course their definition of ‘later’ was broad, I was dreading that I would not see my luggage for days. I was not happy cause I did not have any extra clothes with me and I really wanted to brush my teeth.
However, on the evening of the 28th my luggage was delivered to my apartment. I was so happy not only because I got my luggage back but also that everything was in my luggage. I have heard many horror stories of items being stolen from their luggage while traveling but all was well.
When I exited the airport my new professor (T) was waiting for me and he is a very nice person. He drove me to his house so I could get some more food since I have not eaten since 7 am. (It was about noon at this time.) He also let me use his phone to call C, my boyfriend and let him know that I am ok. After which my new professor took me to tmy new office, since my computer was already set up I would be able to send emails and meet a people. (I will make a separate post about my office and institute later.) The computer set up was nice, I just have to get used to a Danish keyboard. The majority of the keyboard is the same however there were some differences.
I share the office with two other people but the best this is that there are two windows in this office. Unlike my office at Iowa State University, which was a dungeon, with no windows at all. After meeting many new people and sending out emails, my professor took me to a grocery store near my new apartment. (In a separate post I will discuss the food and grocery stores.) He then took my to my new apartment and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, even though it is only 39 meters squared (420 square feet). I promise to post many pictures of my new apartment in a week or two, right now I do not have Internet at the apartment and it will take some time to get it set up. Once I get the Internet at the apartment I will post many pictures.
I was introduced to a post doc (S) in my lab group that also lives near by and he is very helpful. He also showed me the trick to locking my apartment door. If you want to send letters to my apartment, my mom has my Denmark address or you can email me and I gave send it you. You are welcome to send letters and cards, I promise to write back. I know many people would be excited to get a letter from Europe.
I will end this post for now. Thank you for your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment