Friday, October 29, 2010

My adventure in Chicago

(Written on October 27th, in OHare Airport)

Before I could start my adventure in Denmark I first had to deal with all the weather and the ‘fun’ of flying through O’Hare. First adventure was leaving Des Moines; now this adventure was interesting and sad. It was interesting because I was supposed to fly out in the afternoon. But due to the weather my flight to OHare was delayed by almost two hours. When we finally left the airport I still had two hours to my connection in OHare to Copenhagen.

The first leg of my adventure to Denmark was also sad, because I had to say goodbye to the man I love. I knew as the day to my departure became closer that saying goodbye to my boyfriend would be hard. But when it came to really say goodbye it was so much harder than I thought. There were many tears from me and many hugs from him, but when it was time to go, I just had to give him one last hug and walk towards to the security without looking back. I know some people will think I am crazy for being so emotional about saying goodbye to him, but you have to understand we have been together for over seven years and the longest we were apart was 4 weeks. It could be three to four months till I get to hug him again. I am starting to feel more confident about not being able to really touch him though, because with the help of skype I can talk to him and even see him.

The second portion of my adventure occurred in Chicago OHare. When we landed in Chicago, there was another problem. No gates available for us to de-board the plane, we sat in that tin can of a plane for an extra 30 minutes. Then when we finally got off the plane I found out that my flight to Copenhagen is at the International terminal on the complete opposite side of the airport. Oh and its get better to get to the International terminal you actually have to leave security and then re-enter security at the terminal. So two other ladies and myself are running to the rail that takes us to the International terminal. We get there but we have to wait ten minutes for the train to get there. Once off the train we run to the security checkpoint where they tell us the gate is closed, we have to go back to the ticket counter.

To be honest I had never missed a flight like this before I had no idea what to do. Lucky the two other ladies travel around the world for their jobs so they were able to help me out a bit. I was able to get another flight for the following day but unfortunately it was not a straight flight to Copenhagen. I have to fly to Stockholm, Sweden then from Stockholm to Copenhagen. So basically I have to fly over Copenhagen and then back. Next was trying to get a hotel room, considering how many people had delayed, cancelled or missed their flights I figured there would not be much left. There were no rooms left in the Hilton next to the airport, but there was a room at a Ramada about 20 minutes away from the airport. At this point I do not care how far away I am from the airport, all I want is a good bed and shower.

After everything was said and done everything turned out ok. And I will land in Copenhagen October 28th. I will keep you posted on all the details.

Thanks for all the love and support.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie!! I just read this!! Next time you get stuck in Chicago call us! We are 20 min from the airport and have 2 guest rooms ...if we are in town we will come get you in a heartbeat no matter the hour!! Loving catching up on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete