Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My feet hurt but I sure had fun

(Written on the evening October 30th)
Right now I do not have the internet at my apartment, so I am writing these posts at home and then posting them when I get to work. That is why I say ‘Written on date’ on top.
On Friday Oct 29th one of my new office mates (Cr) offered to take me shopping in the center of town or shopping districts in Slagelse on Saturday (Oct 30th). I need a few things for my apartment and she knew where all the second hand shops were. On Saturday, I walked over to her place, which is only a 10-minute walk and had breakfast at her place and then we went out to go shopping.
It was deceiving looking at the map, at first I thought the shopping districts were far from where I live. However, as we starting walking we reached the markets in less then 5 minutes. So I was excited to find out that the center of town and all the markets are only about a 15-minute walk from my place.
Cr and I went around to three different second hand stores in the area. Just like any second hard store in the States there were tons of items to choose from. There were clothes, boots, purses and many other things. There was store that had a great selection of used furniture. Cr says that there are new items in the furniture section all the time so it is worth going every weekend to see what is there.
Cr was very nice and helpful always pointing out the direction where her apartment was so that I could orient myself and not get lost. She also pointed out the entrances to the two malls in town and we entered one. She did a little clothes shopping, while I looked around at all the shops.
Cr then showed me a popular store in the mall called Kvickly (pronounced Quickly). When we entered Kvickly, honestly the first thing I thought was this place looks like a miniature Super-Walmart. Just like a Super-Walmart it had a food section, home section, kitchen, electronics and many others. Cr was helpful and pointed out good food prices. Also if there were any food items I wanted she would mention if it were a good price or mention another place that has that item for a cheaper price.
We also went to the information center where you can purchase gifts and get maps of the city. They map they have of the city is detailed and has a lot of information on it.
The one thing that is different about shopping in Europe is that it works best if you bring your own bag or sack. The stores do have sacks for you to use but you must pay for them. I did not have a good sack to use, so Cr and I shared the one she had. So after shopping at the second hand stores we walked back to Cr’s apartment dropped off our purchased items and then went back to the market. We made three trips the square and back. I did have a lot of fun and there is plenty are places to go shopping.
After having lunch at Cr’s apartment I packed all my items and walked home, I put all my items away and just relaxed.
Well I am off to bed. Thank you for your love and support.

1 comment: