Sunday, December 19, 2010

Traditional Danish Christmas Dinner

I had a chance to have a traditional Danish Christmas Dinner,  I took pictures of the all the food so that everyone can see what I had for dinner.  The host of the dinner was a past employee of the facility and she has a huge house enough room for all of 20 people.
A beautiful center piece
In Denmark it is tradition to drink "schnapps" -- which is a really stiff alcoholic drink. They are put in these very small cute glasses.  I had one and lets just say -- that one drink is all I had.  It tasted good but it was a very strong drink.
The first course of dinner was fish. We had fried fish fillets with something similar to a tartar sauce called remoulade.. Two different types of pickled herring, one type was mild with just vinegar and onions; the other type was spicy with curry.  The pickled herring is placed on rye bread, with onions and sauce.  I tried the mild type on rye bread and sauce, it was not that bad, kind of like a type of sushi.  Then there was also smoked salmon, which was served on white bread with red onions, capers, and dill sauce.  I tried everything expect the spicy pickled curry.


The next course was meat, we had pork and beef meatballs, with roast pork, and liver pâté with bacon and mushrooms. There was the fixings: cooked red cabbage, and canned beats.


The last course was cheese, grapes, cookies and traditional Danish Christmas dessert. By this time I am so full!! But I really wanted to have some dessert. The dessert is called Ris à l’amande with cherry sauce, which is basically rice pudding with cream, vanilla and silvered almonds and then topped with warm cherry sauce.  Oh it so good!!!  People were telling me that it a tradition to put one whole almond in a large bowl of Ris à l’amande, and the person that found the whole almond got a prize. And that some people would actually find the almond but hind it under their tongue so that people had to continue eating the Ris à l’amande with cherry sauce until it was gone.




 

Dinner was great and I was so full when I left.  It was a great night and I had a lot of fun. 
 Merry Christmas to all my friends and family!!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog! Best of luck in Denmark. I have lived there too, as I am married to a Dane. Christmas is beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete